Spring Home Maintenance Tips
Take advantage of the mild temperatures to get a head start on what should be an annual spring home maintenance routine. Addressing issues now, will help ensure fewer problems this summer.
- Inspect roof and siding for cracks or missing shingles and make any needed repairs.
- If any paint is peeling, cracking, or chipped, repair and repaint now to limit any future damage.
- Clean windows and wash screens with a soft brush and soapy water. Rinse well and allow them to dry in the sun. Repair any holes or tears, or replace the screen material before reinstalling.
- Have your air conditioning unit serviced to ensure good operation. Promote air circulation around the unit by keeping surrounding shrubs and plants trimmed.
- Clear debris from gutters and eaves to allow rainwater to drain properly.
- Seal any cracks or holes outside your home around windows and doors with caulking. Check for foundations cracks and seal with cement parging or call a foundation or basement specialist.
- Ensure that all water is draining away from your home. Slope gardens & walkways appropriately.
- Wash down decks and patios and seal surfaces as appropriate. If the finish on your wood deck is faded or worn, now is the time to clean, stain and reseal it.
- If you stored your lawn furniture for the winter, bring it outdoors and give it a hose rinse, or wash it with a mild detergent. For metal furniture, check for signs of rust or paint erosion; a simple remedy of spray enamel will prevent further damage from sun, rain and humidity in the months ahead.
- Empty dehumidifier pans and clean or replace filters according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Use a flashlight in the basement to examine exposed framing. If you see any tunneling on the wood, call a pest control company immediately as you may have some termite activity.
- Dust off your ceiling fans to avoid blowing dust around the room when .
- Dust or vacuum baseboards, window casings, tops of wall-mounted cabinets etc. Launder or dry clean draperies and wipe down blinds. Rent a carpet cleaner—anything you can do to remove settled dust, mites, and allergens will make for a cleaner and healthier home.
- Proper insulation and good ventilation in your attic will deter mold growth, so take action now to prevent the problem from developing in the warmer months ahead.
- Have your furnace serviced and change your furnace filter.
Above all, open the windows. It’s time to let fresh air circulate throughout your home!